Continuing Interpreter Education Requirements
SUPERINTENDENCE RULE 85. Continuing Education.
- Each Supreme Court certified foreign language interpreter and Supreme Court certified sign language interpreter shall complete and report, on a form provided by the Supreme Court Language Services Program, at least twenty-four credit hours of continuing education offered or accredited by the program for each two-year reporting period. Six of the credit hours shall consist of ethics instruction and the remaining eighteen general credit hours shall be relevant to the work of the interpreter in the legal setting. The interpreter may carry forward a maximum of twelve general credit hours into the following biennial reporting period.
- Each provisionally qualified foreign language interpreter shall complete and report, on a form provided by the program, at least twenty-four credit hours of continuing education offered or accredited by the program within twenty-four months after the date of the last oral examination of the National Center for State Courts administered by the program.
- Compliance with requirements
The program shall keep a record of the continuing education hours of each Supreme Court certified foreign language interpreter, Supreme Court certified sign language interpreter, and provisionally qualified foreign language interpreter, provided it shall be the responsibility of the interpreter to inform the program of meeting the continuing education requirements.
The program shall accredit continuing education programs, activities, and sponsors and establish procedures for accreditation, provided any continuing education programs or activities offered by the National Center for State Courts, the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators, and the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf shall not require accreditation. The program may assess a reasonable nonrefundable application fee in an amount as determined by the program for a sponsor submitting a program or activity for accreditation.
Continuing Interpreter Education
- Application for Approval of Interpreter Continuing Education Credits
- Application for Exemption from Educational Requirements Illness or Disability
- Application for Exemption from Educational Requirements Special Circumstances
Application for Online Approval of Continuing Interpreter Education Credits
- Continuing Education Credits Approved Activities Lists
- Credit Request for Teaching at an Approved CIE Activity
- Interpreter Record Response Form
- Request for CIE Credit for a Self-Study Activity
- Request for Credit for Attendance at a CIE Activity Outside of Ohio
- Request for Interpreter Continuing Education Record
- Sponsor Application for Continuing Interpreter Education Credit
Word files may be viewed for free with Office Online.
PDF Files may be viewed, printed, and searched using the Free Acrobat® Reader. Acrobat Reader is a trademark of Adobe Inc.