Wood County Courthouse

Wood County CourthouseThe Wood County Courthouse was designed by architects Joseph W. Yost and Frank L. Packard of Columbus and built in 1896.  The building, located at 1 Courthouse Square in the county seat of Bowling Green, is still in use and today houses the Wood County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and domestic relations divisions.

The courthouse features Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture with a Vermont Granite base, Amherst Sandstone, limestone walls and an interior marble staircase.  The east side of the courthouse features allegorical carvings of justice flanked by two other figures that represent agriculture and commerce. The courthouse displays a towering 185-foot tall clock tower, which features a very large hand clock with four faces each aligned with one of the four cardinal directions.

Wood County is named after Maj. Eleazer D. Wood, an American Army officer in the War of 1812. Wood built Fort Meigs, which was located near Perrysburg, in 1813.  This was used by American soldiers during the war to repel British attacks in the spring and summer of 1813.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)