Perry County Courthouse

Perry County CourthouseThe Perry County Courthouse was designed by architect Joseph W. Yost and built in 1888 by the firm Hibbert and Schaus of Newark, Ohio for $84,698. Located at 105 North Main St. in the county seat of New Lexington, the building is still in use and today houses the Perry County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile courts.  

The courthouse features Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture and is constructed of sandstone, pressed brick and top quality Millersburg Brownstone. The courthouse was sandblasted in September 1973 to restore the pink and cream color of the sandstone.

Perry County is named in honor of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry known as the “Hero of Lake Erie” for his naval victory at the battle of Lake Erie in the war of 1812.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)