Miami County Courthouse

Miami County CourthouseThe Miami County Courthouse was designed by architect Joseph W. Yost and built in 1888. Located at 201 West Main St. in the county seat of Troy, the building is still in use and today houses the Miami County Municipal Court.

The courthouse features Beaux Arts style architecture with a limestone exterior and center dome with columns. The adjacent brick powerhouse, which at one time was attached to the courthouse, houses the building’s heat and air circulation.  The courthouse also features a copper statue of Lady Justice atop its 185-foot tower. 

The courthouse was renovated twice, once in 1982 and again in 1998. These renovations included stripping the main dome and four corner domes of the cast iron veneer for repair, recast and reinstallation. The windows also were replaced and the limestone exterior was cleaned and sealed. The county’s other courts are housed in a building across the street called the Safety Building.

Miami County is named after the Miami Indian Tribe. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)