Mercer County Courthouse

Mercer County CourthouseThe Mercer County Courthouse was designed by architect Peter M. Hulsken and was built in 1923. Located at 101 North Main St. in the county seat of Celina, the building is still in use and today houses the Mercer County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse features Neoclassical style architecture and is constructed of gray limestone. The building features fine materials on the interior, including Mahogany wood and Italian black marble. The courthouse has 40-foot ionic columns, bronze doors and a leaded art glass dome with borders depicting mythological figures from the Parthenon in Greece.

Mercer County is named after Brigadier Gen. Hugh Mercer, a hero of the Revolutionary War who was mortally wounded at the battle of Princeton on Jan. 3, 1777.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)