Mahoning County Courthouse

Mahoning County CourthouseThe Mahoning County Courthouse was designed by architect G.W. Owsley and constructed in 1911. Located at 120 Market Square in the county seat of Youngstown, the building is still in use and today houses the Mahoning County Court of Common Pleas and its domestic relations and probate divisions.

The courthouse features Second Renaissance Revival style architecture and is made of granite and terra cotta. The east façade of the courthouse features six Ionic columns that support an entablature above. The building also is capped by a stained glass dome measuring 40 feet in diameter. The building underwent modernization in the 1950s when the ceilings were lowered and windows were replaced, and again in the 1980s, with the installation of bronze doors replicating the original courthouse doors as well as new windows and a heating and air conditioning system.

Mahoning County is named after the American Indian word Mahoni or Mahonink meaning “a lick” or “at the lick.” The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)