Jefferson County Courthouse

Jefferson County CourthouseThe Jefferson County Courthouse was designed by architects Charles Wallace Heard and Walter Blythe and built in 1874 at a cost of $300,000. Located at 301 Market St. in the county seat of Steubenville, the building is still in use and today houses the Jefferson County Court of Common Pleas and its probate division.

The building is constructed from Ohio Sandstone. In 1950, after a heavy snow storm, the roof of the building collapsed and the county debated whether to build a new courthouse or repair the courthouse. A compromise resulted in a modern fourth floor being constructed on top of the courthouse’s ornate structure. A statue of Edwin M. Stanton, who was Abraham Lincoln’s secretary of war, sits outside the courthouse. Stanton was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Ulysses S. Grant and confirmed by the U.S. Senate, but died before taking the oath of office. 

Jefferson County is named after Thomas Jefferson, who was the first U.S. secretary of state under President George Washington. Jefferson went on to become the third president of the United States. He was president when Ohio was admitted into the union on March 1, 1803.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)