Franklin County Courthouse

Franklin County CourthouseThe Franklin County Courthouse was built in 1991 and designed by the architectural firm URS Consultants, Inc. at a cost of $75 million.  It's part of a three-building courts complex, located at 369, 373 and 375 South High St. in the county seat of Columbus, and was built on the site of the former Franklin County Courthouse.

The complex is home to the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas and its probate, domestic relations and juvenile divisions, as well as the Franklin County Municipal Court and the 10th District Court of Appeals.

The new Franklin County Courthouse, located at 345 South High St., north of the original complex, opened in June 2011. At a cost of $105 million, it is a seven-story, glass-walled structure. An additional $16 million pavilion was attached to the other county buildings, along with a tunnel to connect them.

County offices, the Franklin County Municipal Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courts remain in the original three buildings.

The historic Franklin County Courthouse, which once sat on the same location, was designed by architect George H. Maetzel and was completed in July 1887. The historic building featured Second Empire architecture and was made of Berea Sandstone. The courthouse entrance was flanked by two granite columns and two allegorical female figures holding the seal of Ohio.

The historic courthouse also featured a bell tower with a statue of justice above it.  An annex was added to the courthouse in 1951 at a cost of $2.5 million. The historic courthouse was one of the finest examples of Second Empire architecture in the U.S., but it was razed in 1974 because the structural faults were too costly to repair. 

Franklin County was named after Benjamin Franklin, who was one of the most important founding fathers.  Franklin was also an author, inventor, scientist, and a diplomat; just to name a few.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)