Defiance County Courthouse

Image of the Defiance County courthouseThe Defiance County Courthouse was designed by architect J.C. Johnson and built in 1873. Located at 221 Clinton St. in the county seat of Defiance, the courthouse remains in use and today houses the Defiance County Court of Common Pleas and its probate, juvenile and domestic relations courts.

The courthouse features Second Empire and Tuscan Villa style architectures and is built of brick and stone.  The courthouse features a 125-foot tall clock tower upon its mansard roof.  In 1950, a third story was added to the courthouse.

Defiance County is named after Fort Defiance, which was built in 1794 by Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne at the corner of the Maumee and Auglaize Rivers in Defiance county.