Wayne County Courthouse

The Wayne County Courthouse was designed by architect Thomas Boyd and built in 1879. The building, located at 107 West Liberty St. in the county seat of Wooster, is still in use and today houses the Wayne County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is built of stone and is attached to a brick office building that was built 10 years prior in 1869. The courthouse features carvings of four mythological figures of Atlantis constructed of solid blocks of Berea Sandstone to support the entrance pediments. These figures are related to Atlas, the Titan who was sentenced by the gods to support the heavens. The courthouse was necessary after the Wooster City Council condemned the original 1833 courthouse for being “unsafe, dangerous, and unfit for its purpose.”

Wayne County was named after the U.S. Army brigadier general and statesman Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne. Wayne fought in the Revolutionary War and is known for the capture of Stony Point, New York, in 1779.  In 1792, Wayne succeeded Arthur St. Clair as the American Army commander in the Northwest Territory.  Wayne defeated the American Indian tribes in the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794 and this led to a treaty with the American Indian tribes in which they were officially granted lands within the U.S. 

The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.