Vinton County Courthouse

Vinton County CourthouseThe Vinton County Courthouse was built in 1939 in Art Deco style architecture.  The building, located at 100 East Main St. in the county seat of McArthur, is still in use and today houses the Vinton County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is made of brick, which was made locally, and the exterior is ornamented by a simple entablature, massive crowning parapet and carved stone spandrels between the windows of each floor. A Civil War monument of a union soldier made of Vermont granite is displayed in front of the courthouse.

Vinton County is named after Samuel F. Vinton, congressman from Ohio who served during the mid-1800s, and one of Ohio’s political leaders of the 19th century.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)