Tuscarawas County Courthouse

Tuscarawas County CourthouseThe Tuscarawas County Courthouse was designed by architect Thomas Boyd and built in 1884. The building, located at 125 East High Ave. in the county seat of New Philadelphia, is still in use and today houses the Tuscarawas County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is built of sandstone from a Medina quarry.  The entrance to the courthouse features a pediment and is supported by columns with Corinthian capitals. The courthouse’s dome at one time featured a statue of three women known as “The Three Ladies of Justice,” but it was removed for safety concerns after a piece of metal fell from it in 1959. A cupola with a brass eagle atop the copper roof was added to the dome of the courthouse in 1973.  In 1996, the courthouse was renovated and restored., which included the stripping of wood trim, cleaning and repair of ceramic tile floors and the raising of the ceiling to its original height of 14 feet. The walls also were painted in a Victorian color scheme.

Tuscarawas County is named after the Tuscarawas Indian Tribe, which once inhabited the area. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)