Summit County Courthouse

Summit County CourthouseThe Summit County Courthouse was designed by architect John Milton Dyer and built in 1908.  The building, located at 205 South High St. in the county seat of Akron, is still in use and today houses the Summit County Court of Common Pleas and its probate division. 

The courthouse is made from Ohio Sandstone, steel and concrete featuring Second Renaissance Revival style architecture. The exterior is of federal government building design which was commonly constructed during this period. The interior features cast-iron gates. 

In 1928, Summit County was growing so rapidly, due to the industrial boom in Akron, that the courthouse needed an addition. The addition to the courthouse is almost as large as the original building and matches the original in its design.  The addition included more offices and more courtrooms needed to support the ever increasing population of Summit County. 

Summit County was named after “Portage Summit,” which is the highest elevation on the Ohio and Erie Canal.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)