Sandusky County Courthouse

Sandusky County CourthouseThe Sandusky County Courthouse was designed by architect Cyrus Williams and built in 1844. Located at 100 North Park Ave. in the county seat of Fremont, the building is still in use and today houses the Sandusky County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is made of brick and stone and features Grecian style architecture using Doric sandstone columns. The 1844 courthouse was preserved and subsequently converted into the north wing of the current courthouse when expansion was needed in the 1930s. The expansion added a central and south section to the original courthouse, which are compatible with the historic structure. The white octagonal cupola was moved off of the original courthouse and placed atop the central section. 

U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes practiced law in the Sandusky County Courthouse in the early years of his life, 1845-1849, and filed the petition for the town’s name change from Lower Sandusky to Fremont in 1849. Hayes favored the name change because he believed there were too many towns named Sandusky within 100 miles of the Sandusky River’s source Lake Erie. 

Sandusky County is named for the American Indian word meaning “cold water.”

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)