Pickaway County Courthouse

Pickaway County CourthouseThe Pickaway County Courthouse was designed by architects Frank Weary and George Kramer and built in 1890. Located at 207 South Court St. in the county seat of Circleville, the building is still in use and today houses the Pickaway County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is constructed of stone and brick and has a four-faced clock tower. The courthouse’s lobby features marble floors and smoke-colored marble wainscoting. A Civil War memorial was erected in 1889 on the courthouse grounds using a column from the old courthouse, which was constructed in 1847 but had been outgrown. The 1890 courthouse was constructed on the foundation of the former jail cells.

Pickaway County is named after the American Indian Tribe Piqua, which resided on the Great Miami River in present day Piqua, Miami County.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)