Morgan County Courthouse

Morgan County CourthouseThe Morgan County Courthouse was designed by architect William P. Johnson and built in 1858. Located at 19 East Main St. in the county seat of McConnelsville, the building is still in use and today houses the Morgan County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse features pre-Civil War Greek revival style architecture, with a clock tower and a mansard roof, which were added in 1886. Air conditioning and an elevator were added to the building in 1960 when the building was enlarged and remodeled.

Morgan County is named after Brigadier Gen. Daniel Morgan, a brilliant military tactician during the Revolutionary War. Morgan also led troops to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion, an uprising of mostly farmers that occurred in western Pennsylvania after a tax on whisky was passed.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)