Montgomery County Courthouse

Montgomery County CourthouseThe Montgomery County Courthouse was designed by architect Howard Daniels and built in 1850. Located at 41 North Perry St. in the county seat of Dayton, the building today houses the Montgomery County Historical Society.

The courthouse features Greek Revival style architecture and is constructed of limestone quarried from the Dayton area.  The stonecutters for this project worked the limestone as if it were done in ancient Egypt, using saws, sand and water. The courthouse was known as the “temple of justice.”

Montgomery County is named after Revolutionary War Gen. Richard Montgomery.  The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)