Meigs County Courthouse

Meigs County CourthouseBuilt in 1848, the Meigs County Courthouse, which was designed by architect S.S. Bergin, offers a beautiful view of the Ohio River. Located at 100 East Second St. in the county seat of Pomeroy, the building is still in use and currently houses the Meigs County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions. The courthouse is one of the oldest county courthouses in Ohio and is built of brick and features arched windows trimmed in carved stone.

The original Meigs County Courthouse, built in the village of Chester, still stands. Built in 1823, it is the oldest standing courthouse in Ohio, but was abandoned when the county seat moved from Chester to Pomeroy.

Meigs County is named in honor of Gov. Return Jonathan Meigs Jr., for his many contributions to Ohio. He served as Ohio’s fourth governor and was appointed the first chief justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio in 1803.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)