Lorain County Courthouse

Lorain County CourthouseThe Lorain County Courthouse was designed by architect Elijah E. Myers and built in 1881.  The building, located at 308 Second St. in the county seat of Elyria, is no longer in use. 

The courthouse is constructed of Amherst Sandstone with the first floor façade of rusticated stone and upper levels of smooth-cut sandstone.  The building was designed to be fireproof, an architectural trait Myers was known for, and features floors made of vaulted brick between iron beams.  In 1982, the large courtroom was divided and the woodwork, vaults and fireplaces were removed. 

The Lorain County Courthouse no longer houses any courts; however, a new Lorain County Judicial Center, located at 225 Court St., is home to the Lorain County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and domestic relations divisions.  The courthouse is identical to the Grant County Courthouse in Marion, Ind., which also was designed by Myers. Myers has designed more state capitol buildings than any other architect and was first trained as a builder and draftsmen, which was common in the late 19th Century. 

Lorain County is named for Heman Ely, the founder of Elyria. He named the county after the French Province of Lorraine, an area he had visited.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)