Licking County Courthouse

Licking County CourthouseThe Licking County Courthouse was designed by architect H.E. Myer of Cleveland and built in 1878 for $190,000. Located on the public square in the county seat of Newark, the building is still in use and today houses the Licking County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is constructed of limestone and is supported by a sandstone foundation. The building features Second Empire style architecture and is one of the finest examples of the style in Ohio. The courthouse also has 11 identical statues of Lady Justice, one at each entrance to the building, as well as a predominant clock tower. The current courthouse was built after a fire consumed its predecessor, which was built in 1832.

Licking County is named for the Licking River and also the nearby salt flats. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)