Jackson County Courthouse

Jackson County CourthouseThe Jackson County Courthouse was constructed in 1953 after a fire in 1951 destroyed the previous courthouse, which was built in 1868.

Located at 226 East Main St. in the county seat of Jackson, the building is still in use and today houses the Jackson County Court of Common Pleas and its probate division. The current brick courthouse is an eclectic building because it includes some of the outside walls of the 1868 courthouse. It is constructed in Neoclassical style architecture.

Jackson County is named after Andrew Jackson, who was the seventh president of the United States, serving from 1829 to 1837, and the commander of American Forces at the battle of New Orleans, the last battle of the War of 1812, which was fought in 1815.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)