Hocking County Courthouse

Hocking County CourthouseThe Hocking County Courthouse was designed by architect Frank Packard and built in 1923. Located at 1 Main St. in the county seat of Logan, the building is still in use and today houses the Hocking County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions, and the Hocking County Municipal Court.

The previous courthouse was torn down when dangerous cracks formed in its brick walls and more space was needed. The current three-story courthouse is made of stone and features four columns in front with the words “Hocking County Courthouse” above them. Packard’s design for the courthouse incorporated features of the Preble, Putnam and Mercer county courthouses.

Hocking County is named after the Delaware Indian word meaning “bottle river,” referring to the Hocking River.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)