Highland County Courthouse

Highland County CourthouseThe Highland County Courthouse was designed by architect Pleasant Arthur and built in 1835. Located at 105 North High St. in the county seat of Hillsboro, the building is the oldest Ohio structure still in use as a courthouse. Today it houses the Highland County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse was constructed in the Federal and Greek Revival style architecture and is made of brick with Ionic columns and a bell tower.

Highland County is named after the rolling topography of the area, which divides the watersheds of the Little Miami and Scioto rivers. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)