Hancock County Courthouse

Hancock County CourthouseThe Hancock County Courthouse was designed by architects Frank Weary and George Washington Kramer and built in 1888. Located at 300 South Main St. in the county seat of Findlay, the building is still in use and today houses the Hancock County Court of Common Pleas and its domestic relations division.

The courthouse is built of stone and features marble from Maine, granite columns and stained glass windows. A statue above the building’s main entrance features three sculpted figures symbolizing justice, mercy, and law.  The courthouse’s tower is topped by a bronze statue of John Hancock who is the county’s namesake.

John Hancock was the first and third governor of Massachusetts.  He was elected third president of the Second Continental Congress in 1775 and served until 1777.  He was the first signer of the Declaration of Independence, signing it on July 4, 1776, while the other 55 delegates signed it on Aug. 2, 1776.

The Hancock County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)