Guernsey County Courthouse

Guernsey County CourthouseThe Guernsey County Courthouse was the first of many Ohio county courthouses designed by architect Joseph W. Yost. The courthouse was completed in 1883 at a cost of $84,083.34.

Located at 801 Wheeling Ave. in the county seat of Cambridge, the courthouse is still in use and today houses the Guernsey County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse features rock-faced sandstone accented by smooth and carved stone.  Its cupola is made of pressed metal designed to match the stonework of the building.  A statue of Lady Justice sits high above the main entrance.

Guernsey County was named to memorialize the Isle of Guernsey in the English Channel, which was the origin of many of its settlers. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)