Geauga County Courthouse

Geauga County CourthouseThe Geauga County Courthouse was built in 1869 at a cost of $88,862. The courthouse was designed in Italianate style architecture by Joseph Ireland and the contract for construction was awarded to L.J. Randall.

The building is constructed of brick and stone. A distinguishing feature of the Geauga County Courthouse is a weathervane that sits on the roof of the building’s 112-foot tower. 

Located at 100 Short Court St. in the county seat of Chardon, the courthouse today houses the Geauga County Court of Common Pleas.

Geauga County is named for the Indian word sheauga sepe, which means raccoon.  The Geauga County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)