Fayette County Courthouse

Fayette County CourthouseThe Fayette County Courthouse was designed by the architectural firm of David W. Gibbs & Company of Toledo and built in 1885 for a cost of $45,000.

Located at 110 East Court St. in the county seat of Washington Court House, the building is still in use and today houses the Fayette County Court of Common Pleas and its probate, juvenile and domestic relations divisions.

The courthouse is built of stone and features metal cornices and pediments at the roof eaves. The building has a dome and bell tower located in the center of the structure that is topped by a statue of Lady Justice. The clock in the tower, which was still under construction when the courthouse was complete, was built by famous 19th Century clockmaker Seth Thomas.

Fayette County is named after Marquis de LaFayette, personal assistant to Revolutionary War Gen. George Washington. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)