Fairfield County Courthouse

Fairfield County CourthouseThe Fairfield County Courthouse was designed by architect Jacob B. Orman and built in 1872. The historic courthouse took five years to complete at a cost of $138,921.11. The courthouse features Italianate architecture made of locally quarried stone. The windows of the building are covered by hood moulds and the building also features an iron cornice.

Located at 224 East Main St. in the county seat of Lancaster, the courthouse is no longer seeing service as a courthouse; however, it does house the county’s administrative offices. All the county courts are now housed in the county’s “third courthouse” named the Hall of Justice, which is located directly east of the historic 1872 Fairfield County Courthouse.

Fairfield County is named for the quality of its fertile soil.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)