Erie County Courthouse

Erie County CourthouseThe Erie County Courthouse was built in 1874 and designed by architects Myer and Holmes. Located at 323 Columbus Ave. in the county seat of Sandusky, the courthouse remains in use and today and houses the Erie County Court of Common Pleas and its probate, juvenile, domestic relations divisions and family court.

Originally, the courthouse featured three statues of Lady Justice above the entrance and a mansard roof with corner towers capped with iron cresting.  The courthouse under went major remodeling in the late 1930s when the mansard roof and ornamentation were replaced by a smooth limestone Art Deco style architecture exterior and Art Deco clock tower.  The original stone exterior is still visible along with some arched windows on the lower floors.

Erie County is named after the Erie Indian Tribe.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)