Clinton County Courthouse

Clinton County CourthouseThe Clinton County Courthouse was designed by architects Weber, Werner & Adkins of Cincinnati and built in 1919 at a cost of $367,756.95. The building is constructed of stone and its interior features marble stairs and columns.

Located at 46 South South St. in the county seat of Wilmington, the courthouse is still in use today and houses the Clinton County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions. The building recently underwent a $650,000.00 restoration, which included plaster replacement, a new roof, new front steps and an updated electrical and telephone system.

Clinton County is named after George Clinton, who served as New York’s first governor for 18 years (1777-1795) and as vice president to President Thomas Jefferson (1805-1809) during his second term and as vice president to James Madison (1809-1812) in the subsequent election. He was vice president when Clinton County was formed in 1810.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)