Carroll County Courthouse

Carroll County CourthouseThe Carroll County Courthouse was built in 1885 at a cost of $107,534. Designed by architects Frank Weary and George Kramer, the building is constructed of rock-faced sandstone and features a stone portico-framed main entrance.

Located at 119 Public Square in the county seat of Carrollton, the courthouse today houses the Carroll Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse and the county were named after Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. Charles Carroll was a lawyer and politician from Annapolis, Md., delegate for the Continental Congress, a U.S. senator and the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence.

The Carroll County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)