Brown County Courthouse

Brown County CourthouseThe Brown County Courthouse was designed by architect Hubbard Baker in Greek revival style architecture and construction was completed in 1851.

The courthouse is built of stone and features a bell tower with a four-faced clock. An addition was made to the courthouse in 1914, and in 1977 the building was renovated after a fire caused extensive damage to the structure.

Located at 101 South Main St. in the county seat of Georgetown, the courthouse remains in use today and houses the Brown County Court of Common Pleas and its domestic relations division and mediation program.

Georgetown is the childhood home of President Ulysses S. Grant, who once trained horses on the courthouse lawn. Brown County is named after General Jacob Brown, a hero of the War of 1812.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)